Blog Subscription via Follow.it

May 19, 2011

Thursday, May 19, 2011 - No comments

ARCA 2011 Student Riley Meghan Kraft on Her Passions for Archaeology and Conservation -- and Her Hopes for Traveling Throughout Italy This Summer

ARCA Blog: What is your academic background and how did you come to commit to a summer in Umbria studying art crime?

Riley Meghan Kraft
August 2008, I came to Texas A&M University to study my passion for archaeology. May 2011, I graduated with a bachelor’s degree in Anthropology and minors in Classical Studies and Geology. Many of my interests, academics, and career goals have always been geared towards the field of archaeology, and during this past year at school I have discovered my increasing interest in conservation. While researching my options for what to do after my undergraduate career I came across the ARCA website and decided that an education in art crime studies would be beneficial for a future career in recovering and preserving ancient art and artifacts. Since the ARCA program is held only once a year in the summer, and my other choices require a much longer time commitment, I decided that going to ARCA now was the best move. Also, I figured some time abroad would give me the recharge I need to tackle what comes next in life.

ARCA Blog: The program culminates in the writing of a publishable article. What area of art crime or cultural protection would you like to research?
Riley Meghan Kraft: While I do love learning about art history and criminology, my greatest interest from the ARCA program is learning about investigation, security, and the art and antiquities trade. Since I know so little about these subjects, I believe I will spend most of my efforts trying to understand them through research.
ARCA Blog: Have you traveled or lived in Italy and what would you like to do there when you are not attending lectures?
Riley Meghan Kraft: In June 2008, I spent a week in Rome and visited Pompeii. As an aspiring archaeologist it was a dream come true! However, after these past few years studying Roman history, language, literature, and culture I realized how much I missed when I was there. When I’m not attending lectures in Amelia, I’d like to travel through as much of Italy as I can; seeing the art and architecture, learning the history, meeting the people, exploring the land, and experiencing the life.

0 comments: